Monday, May 12, 2008

Dans le sud de france

I remembered why I wanted to be in France in the first place over this weekend. I met Katherine and her parents down in Avignon, close to the Mediterrean and full of vineyards. The area, Provence, has 300 + days of sunshine a year, and the people's attitudes reflect it. We stayed in a B&B with a private terrace overlooking vineyards and a village. The first day I was there everything was closed for some holiday (surprised?!) so we laid out by the pool sampling wines and relaxing. We ate at one of the best restaurants I have ever been to in my life the next night. Katherine and I made our way all the way up north of Paris in about 5 hours on a TGV the next day and we stayed in the Champagne region. We explored the G.H. Mumms Champagne Caves, and today she's on her way back to the US.
In a way, I'm definitely ready to have a home again. The other side of it is that I will always have a home to be in, and this quick 4 months is a great amount of time to take everything in. There is a reason this is the most visited country in the world, everytime I go somewhere new I come back impressed. It's in the final 3 weeks now, and I actually have to quit daydreaming of the south and get through my boatloads of class with finals yet to come.

No comments: